Friday, August 22, 2014

What Is A Balanced Attitude Toward Money?

What Is A Balanced Attitude About Money?

Is there a balance between being financially responsible and greed? 

Money consumes so much of our time, thoughts and effort that it is easy to get lost in the details of handling it. You can become overly concerned about obtaining more money or you may worry about not having enough.

"Two things I ask of you, Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' or I may become poor and steal and so dishonor the name of my God." Proverbs 30 7-9.

OBSESSION
Worry is always a bad attitude. Worry about money can cripple our lives and rob us of enjoyment. Many families are destroyed by financial worries.

RECOGNIZE THE DANGERS
Recognize the dangers of money both in abundance and lack. Too little and we are tempted into risky choices like stealing, throwing what little we have into lottery tickets or we fall prey to "Get rich schemes." Too much money and we become content with this life and the comforts wealth brings and so then forget God.

PRAYER
The reference verse is a prayer we should all learn. You need God's help to be honest about wealth and you need to seek his provision. He knows what you need and he is able to provide it.

THE ULTIMATE POSITIVE ATTITUDE
The danger of too much wealth is in disowning God: that is arrogant and prideful; only a fool would want to get on God's bad side. The danger of too little is stealing which says, God can't take care of me so I must resort to stealing what he gave to others, either way, it is taking God out of the picture.

GOD
The best attitude looks in faith to God and says that He can give what we need, and then expresses that attitude of faith through prayer and thanksgiving. Affirm that God is in control, and He is the provider of wealth as well as sustenance without it.